Here are some tips:
- Make sure you know what your ultimate goal is: more clients? more visibility? more sales? more connections? and then use your social media channels accordingly. Like with every marketing task, you have to focus!
- Choose the right social media channels. You don’t have to use every single social media option out there. Do your homework and find out which channels will best support your marketing goals and strategy.
- Have specific plan for using each of your Social Media tools, knowing that each one has a different kind of reach and method of “conversation”. Don’t post the identical thing to all your social media channels all the time. Some things work well across the board, some things don’t. Some channels can handle more activity than others.
- Have set times/tasks for each day’s Social Media activity. Know clearly why you’re there and what you plan to accomplish. Take a look at what Chris Brogan and John Jantsch are doing just to get an idea of what this might look like (but know that their schedules/systems are huge overkill for the majority of small businesses).
- Use tools wisely and automation sparingly. Don’t get sucked in to the wave that says that it can all be automated. Yes, it CAN, but it won’t be very effective. Some things can be automated well (like posting a link on all your social media channels automatically whenever you update your blog), but the really important stuff – like engagement – can’t be automated very well.
- Outsource your Social Media tasks whenever possible – “friend” management, spam control, specific kinds of status updates (specials, regularly recurring updates, sales, etc.), and reputation management, for example. While I do all the social media myself for HotSpot, I do have someone helping me out with social media tasks for my PraiseWalker sites.
Need help wading through it all? Drop us an e-mail, and let’s see if we can help you wade through the morass to create something doable. We’d be happy to answer any questions you might have.
Did you enjoy this post? Please “like” it below and share it with your friends, or re-tweet it using the buttons at the top. We’d really appreciate it.